How do we begin to make changes in our lives when all we can see are the obstacles in our way? I learned a long time ago to step back and take a different look at my situation when I feel like I’m stuck.
Change is freaking hard. Even when we know what we want, we often can’t figure out how to get started on it.
I’ve been there many times… and it can be so frustrating and disheartening. A lot of the time the things we want to be changed are the things that are out of our control… Like other people or our financial situation, for example…
I’ve come up with an action plan that works for ANY situation we find ourselves in, especially when we feel like we’re stuck.
No matter what is going on, no matter what’s standing in our way, here’s the thing… it’s got to start with us anyway. We feel stuck when we know that we have to DO something to make change happen, but we feel like we can’t.
We’ve got to start on “our side of the street.” …all the stuff we have complete control over.
If you’re in a situation where you feel like your hands are tied and there is nothing you can do, taking this advice suddenly shows you what you CAN do, and it is super freaking empowering!
It gets us out of victim mode and puts us in the driver’s seat! We go from someone in despair to someone filled with hope and encouragement for the future.
Are you ready? I’m going to help you see that there are many things under your control despite the obstacles.
We tend to focus on the problems instead of realizing that there are basic steps we need to take in every situation.
Here are things to do right now…
- Begin with how your day starts.
- Create a simple morning and evening routine that includes taking care of yourself, and by that I mean simply, washing your face, putting on moisturizer, and getting into pajamas that make you feel good.
- In the morning, get yourself together first thing, and do this even if you don’t go off to work or anywhere at all.
- Get your day started right away expecting that somebody is going to call you and invite you to breakfast with your favorite celebrity. You’ll want to be ready to go!
Now look around at your side of the street.
- Do you have clothes that you haven’t worn in years and they’re clogging up your closet?
- Is your end table overflowing with crap?
- Is your dresser covered in dust making you feel like you’re not important?
By taking these seemingly small steps along with adding a routine to your day, you will rapidly feel like you’re becoming unstuck.
I have found that when we give God something to work with, life begins to flow in ways we’ve not imagined possible, and our attitude changes and then everything does!
You will feel like the sun came out like someone opened the windows and let fresh air into the room!
I used to own a beautiful home that needed A LOT of work, but I didn’t have the finances to take care of it and fix what needed fixing.
I started to resent it like nobody’s business. I knew I needed a new bathroom and kitchen, and I also knew there was no way I could afford to make the changes.
But one day while in the shower it came to me… almost audibly: “Do the best you can with what you’ve got.”
I started a Pinterest board called “My funky house,” and began searching for inspiration.
It’s still up on Pinterest as a matter of fact. It helped me to plan, visualize and develop a new perspective that gave me hope and got me on the road to change… maybe not the change I wished for, but one that added joy and ultimately got me what I wanted… a home I could feel good about living in.
What around “you” could you do something about? Give yourself the space to think about it, see what comes up, and begin there.
Now, I’m not going to leave you with an idea in concept form only. Here are DOABLE ideas.
- Choose any room that matters most to you, but your bedroom can be a great place to start.
- Get rid of clothes you don’t wear anymore (the act of giving will bring blessings to you too as a bonus).
- Declutter and clean surfaces.
- Check what’s under the bed, and clean it out.
- Change the sheets, then deep clean the room.
Do this in steps, it doesn’t have to be done all in one day. Pace yourself, but keep moving.
These are things that will keep you busy and DOING something that is necessary anyway on any journey.
Here is a sample morning and evening routine. Don’t make this harder than it needs to be.
* Up on time (pick a time and stick to it)
* Drink water
* Make Bed
Evening (determine a bedtime and begin this ritual 30 minutes before)
* Wash Face
* Brush Teeth
* Put on PJs
* Go to bed on time
There is a verse in The Bible that says, “Without vision, my people perish.” Get yourself inspired, take your eyes off the obstacles, and focus on what is in your power to do.
Leave a comment and let me know if this has helped you, and what you will do, to begin with. Then keep it up, and let me know how it’s going!
The Tidy Tutor
Thank you for this. I adore that it’s biblically based. Especially…without vision, my people will perish. I’m thankful the Lord has placed you in my life. No more beating myself up for not being perfect. God bless you, Kathy. XOXO
Thank you so much Paula! I appreciate you and the time you took to comment! xxoo